- Thursday, May 14, 2020: Graduate School Commencement Ceremony, Cassell Coliseum, 2:30 p.m.
- Friday, May 15, 2020: University Commencement Ceremony, Lane Stadium, 8:30 a.m.
- Sunday, May 17, 2020: Graduate School Ceremony (Greater Washington, D.C., metro area), Center for the Arts, George Mason University, 1 p.m.
- May 14 - 16, 2020: College and Department Ceremonies, See full schedule
Friday, Dec. 18, 2020: University and Graduate School Commencement Ceremonies. Cassell Coliseum
Undergraduate degrees are awarded at the University Ceremony. No college or department ceremonies are held in the fall.
- Thursday, May 13, 2021: Graduate School Commencement Ceremony
- Friday, May 14, 2021: University Commencement Ceremony and College and Departmental Ceremonies
- Saturday, May 15, 2021: College and Departmental Ceremonies
Attendees are permitted to bring one clear plastic bag no larger than 12 inches by 6 inches by 12 inches or a one-gallon, clear, re-sealable plastic storage bag per person. Attendees are also allowed a small clutch purse not to exceed 4.5 inches by 6.5 inches. Wallets must also conform to this size requirement.
No other bags will be allowed inside. All items, including clear bags and clutch purses, are subject to search at all commencement venues. No items can be left or stored at the doors/gates.
All persons entering Virginia Tech venues are subject to search. Virginia Tech reserves the right to examine the contents of any container brought into venues. To protect the safety of attendees, the following items are prohibited.
Please do not attempt to bring these or similar articles into the venue. Items will not be stored at the gate or venue for pickup after the ceremony.
- Wrapped gifts
- Alcoholic beverages
- Signs, flags or banners
- Audio or video recording equipment
- Fireworks or any explosive
- Folding chairs
- Illegal drugs
- Selfie stick
- Smoking – including the use of e-cigarettes – is restricted to the designated areas in the stadium
- Large bags/backpacks
- Diaper bags
- Pets (except service animals)
- Unmanned aircraft (drones)
- Coolers/containers (unless with medical supplies)
- Cameras with a detachable lens 6 inches or longer
- Tripods and monopods
The following items are permitted inside the venues:
- Small clutch purses no larger than 4.5 inches by 6.5 inches
- One clear plastic bag no larger than 12 inches by 6 inches by 12 inches or a one-gallon, clear, re-sealable plastic storage bag per person
- Mobile phones
- Factory sealed water bottle or empty reusable water container
- Binoculars (without case)
- Seat cushions and chair backs
- Radios with headsets
- Diapers and non-medically necessary items for babies and young children must be carried in a clear bag
- Umbrellas (in stands only)