Admissions Transfer Roadmaps
What are the Roadmaps?
Admissions Transfer Roadmaps are a useful planning tool for prospective transfer students. A key component of creating a competitive transfer application for Virginia Tech is having successfully completed certain coursework prior to admission, as to demonstrate your ability to jump right into your intended program and perform at a high level. This coursework is specific to intended entry major, and as such there is a Roadmap to guide prospective students looking to enter each program that is open to transfers.
How to use the Roadmaps
- Find the Roadmap for your intended program or programs to which you may wish to transfer. These are listed by Academic College in the dropdown list below.
- Each Roadmap contains course information in one of three possible categories by suggested prioritization, which is noted in the third column titled "Admissions Advising". The categories are: Required, Strongly Recommended, and Recommended. Some Roadmaps may not have coursework from every category. Here's what each designation means:
- Required course - In order to be competitive for admission, prospective transfer students must complete this course prior to transfer with few to no exceptions. Not every program has courses in this category.
- Strongly Recommended course - Prospective transfer students are strongly encouraged to complete some or all courses in this category prior to transfer. Successful completion of a Strongly Recommended course both fulfills certain degree requirements and can help create a more competitive application for admission, but prospective transfer students with otherwise strong applications could be admitted without this course. Not every program has courses in this category.
- Recommended course - Prospective transfer students are encouraged to complete some or all courses in this category prior to transfer. Successful completion of a Recommended course both fulfills certain degree requirements and can help create a more competitive application for admission, but Recommended coursework should be pursued in addition to coursework listed from the Required and Strongly Recommended categories. Prospective transfer students with otherwise strong applications could be admitted without this course.
- If you are a Virginia Community College System (VCCS) student, you should use the second column on each Roadmap, titled "VCCS Course", when planning your schedule, as these are the course numbers available at your institution which have been evaluated as equivalents for the corresponding "VT Course" listed in the first column. You can view full VCCS course transferability information via the VCCS Equivalency Database on our Transfer Guide.
- If you plan to transfer from a community college outside Virginia or from any other college or university, you should use the first column on each Roadmap titled "VT Course". This contains the Virginia Tech course number for which students should endeavor to complete a transferable equivalent prior to transfer. A helpful tool for matching up course numbers by institution is the Transfer Equivalency Database on our Transfer Guide. Since outside credit is evaluated upon enrollment, only course data brought in by a previous transfer student from that institution will be present in the database. In the event your institution does not have data for a specific course, or any data at all, you will need to use the Undergraduate Catalog Course Descriptions page to view course descriptions by departmental abbreviation and number. You should use this description to locate and pursue coursework of a similar name and/or description at your current institution. This will help improve your chances for admission and increase the likelihood of credit transferability.
Roadmap Contact Information
- Each Roadmap contains the name and email address of at least one college or departmental representative who is very knowledgable about that intended program. Feel free to reach out to this individual with general program questions, or for course advising that exceeds what is noted on the Roadmap.
- For general application or admissions related questions, students should contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at (540) 231-6267 or via email at email@example.com.
Pursuing Guaranteed Admission?
- Some Virginia Community College System students who plan to complete a transferable Associate Degree and meet certain requirements could be eligible for guaranteed admission into their intended program. Three special Articulation Agreements outline the requirements for students pursuing a guarantee to enter into majors within the College of Engineering, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, or into any other major program, respectively. These are available here: https://vt.edu/admissions/transfer/vccs.html
- Students pursuing guaranteed admission to majors outside of the College of Engineering or the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences should ensure that any coursework from the "Required" category is completed as part of their transferable Associate Degree program.
- Please note that you can create a very competitive transfer application without meeting all of the requirements for guaranteed admission under the agreements! Each year, the majority of successful transfer students are admitted without meeting these terms!
Admissions Transfer Roadmaps are a tool to aid in course selection and prioritization by intended program only. Completion of all equivalent Required courses or all equivalent courses listed from each category does not necessarily guarantee admission into that program. Final admissions decisions are made through a holistic review process and based on numerous additional factors, including but not limited to: overall and individual course performance, strength of applicant pool for intended program, and space availability.