Transfer Admissions Requirements
Academic Requirements for Transfers
The most important factors considered for admission are:
- Completion or progress toward completion of prerequisite coursework for your intended program. Create a competitive schedule by following the Admissions Transfer Roadmap for the major to which you plan to apply.
- Please note, transfer applications are no longer accepted for the majors of Architecture or Industrial Design.
- Overall GPA in all college coursework with a special emphasis on performance in courses related to your intended program, as well as your more recent work.
- Although the committee considers applicants with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale), most competitive applicants will present a cumulative GPA of a 3.0 or higher. (In majors where applications exceed available space, the competitive GPA may be even higher.)
- Being in good standing at your current or most recent institution.
Foreign Language Requirement
By the time they graduate from the university, students must meet a language study requirement.
For most majors, the minimum requirement may be met in high school by completing 2 units of a single foreign or classical language (3 units for those students who will graduate from certain majors within Virginia Tech’s College of Science and College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences). The requirement also may be met after admission by one of the following:
- Earning 6 semester hours of college-level foreign or classical language credit. Such credits are in addition to that number normally required for graduation
in a student’s program of study.
- Receiving credit by examination for a foreign or classical language.