Transfer Application Checklist
The Spring, Summer, and Fall 2021 transfer applications are now live! Please see the Available Transfer Majors page for more information about which programs are available for each entry term. Our Admissions Transfer Roadmaps outline pre-requisite coursework expectations for admission to each major. All transfer applications will be submitted through the Common Application (Common App) platform this year. The Spring transfer application deadline will be October 1. The application deadline for both Summer and Fall entry will be March 1.
Completing the Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR)
As we continue to optimize the the experience for our transfer applicants, and to reduce the the risk of an incomplete submission, we advise that you complete the SRAR along the following timelines based on your intended entry term. As certain academic information is required, early completion may result in the need to return, update, and resubmit the SRAR at a later date once this information is available. Early completion will not result in earlier decision notification.
Further step-by-step guidance will be provided soon.
Spring 2021 applicants: You are advised to wait until further notice to complete the SRAR. Academic grades through Summer 2020 and coursework through Fall 2020 must be reported. The deadline for SRAR submissions is October 5 (application deadline is October 1).
Summer and Fall 2021 applicants: You advised to wait until the end of the Fall semester to complete the SRAR. Academic grades through Fall 2020 and coursework through Summer 2021 must be reported. The deadline for SRAR submissions is March 5 (application deadline is March 1).
The checklist below provides step-by-step instructions for completing the transfer application process, which includes submission of the transfer application through Common App as well as, for most applicants, completion of a separate Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR).
Completing the Common Application (Common App)
- Visit the Common App landing page here or by the above button. Select "Apply for transfer" on the right-hand side of the page.
- Create a new Common App account or log in to an existing account.
- From the "Add Programs" screen, search for "Virginia Tech". There are six program options available. Please select the correct application based on your intended entry term and citizenship status. Remember: major availability will vary by term as noted on the available majors page. Applicants who are current U.S. citizens or Permanent Residents will submit the Domestic application for their intended term; all other applicants should complete the International application for their planned entry term. Once you have added your program, you may hit "continue" below and then "Continue To My Application" from the following screen.
- From the "My Application" screen you will begin completing the four main components of the application:
- Personal Information
- Academic History
- Supporting Information
- Program Materials (Virginia Tech Program Questions)
- Personal Information - Please complete each subsection in full. Note: Once you have entered information for all subsections you will automatically advance into the Academic History section.
- Academic History - Please complete each subsection as noted below. Note: Once you have entered information for all subsections you will automatically advance into the Supporting Information section:
- High Schools Attended - Only basic high school information is required here for Virginia Tech. High school information is not used in the transfer review process.
- Colleges Attended - Report all institutions attended as instructed.
- College Coursework - College coursework information is not required nor should be reported here for Virginia Tech, though it may be requested or required here by other schools/programs to which the student is applying through Common App. Most applicants will be required to complete a separate Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR) where they will outline their entire academic history from every college or university attended (see further details below).
- GPA Entries - Add a GPA for each institution attended.
- Standardized Tests - SAT/ACT are not required or reviewed for any transfer applicant. IELTS/TOEFL scores should be added for international applicants not studying at an English language institution. If you do not have any test scores to report, select "I Am Not Adding Any Standardized Tests".
- Continuing Education Courses - Nothing is required for this section. Applicants may add any CEU information or select "I Am Not Adding Any Continuing Education Courses".
- SAT Subject - These are not required or reviewed in the transfer process. Applicants should continue to the next section.
- AP (Advanced Placement) - Applicants are advised to report their full AP exam score history here, if applicable, though this information will also be requested and required in the SRAR.
- IB (International Baccalaureate) - Applicants are advised to report their full IB exam score history here, if applicable, though this information will also be requested and required in the SRAR.
- CLEP (College Level Examination Program) - Applicants are advised to report their full CLEP exam score history here, if applicable, though this information will also be requested and required in the SRAR.
- Senior Secondary Leaving Examinations - This section is not reviewed for any applicant.
- Supporting Information - Complete all subsections as noted below. Note: Once you have entered information for all subsections you will automatically advance into the Program Materials "Virginia Tech questions" section.
- Experiences and Achievements - Applicants are strongly encouraged to complete these subsections noting any information which may be relevant to providing their application with a comprehensive holistic review. Activities and experiences from high school, college, or outside of academic life may be relevant. Note: No additional CV/resume will be reviewed.
- Documents - Additional CV/Resumes uploaded here will not be reviewed by Virginia Tech. DD214, Green card, or Joint services transcripts may be uploaded here if applicable, but additional documentation may be requested elsewhere.
- Affirmation Statements - Applicant is required to complete this section.
- Program Materials - If not already selected, select your Virginia Tech application program. You will then see three tabs: Home, Questions, and Documents. The Home tab contains helpful information and external links. Application questions specific to Virginia Tech are found under the Questions tab and are required to submit your application. More information on the Documents tab is noted below.
- Program Materials - Questions (Virginia Tech Program Questions)
- Complete all of the Virginia Tech questions which are required, including the required personal statements known as the Ut Prosim Profile.
- Special note for applicants who have studied at the college level outside of the United States: You will indicate this in the appropriate question under the "General" section heading. Any transfer applicant who has studied outside the United States at the college or university level (regardless of Domestic/International status) should upload all college/university transcripts to the Documents tab of the Program Materials section prior to submitting the application. If additional academic information is required, you will be contacted via email with further instructions.
- All other transfer applicants must complete the separate Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR) to complete the application process, as outlined below.
- Submit the Application - Once you have answered all of the required components from each section of the Common Application, including the Virginia Tech Program questions, you will submit the application from the "Submit Application" ribbon near the top of your screen. Note: Certain information may not be edited following submission of the application. You will need to email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a change or correction to Virginia Tech specific questions or statements.
Completing the Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR)
Please see the Suggested SRAR completion timelines dropdown box below the SRAR button at the top of this page. As we are continuing to optimize the SRAR experience for our transfer applicants, more detailed guidance for completing the SRAR will be published on this page soon.
For further assistance with the application process outlined above, please contact our office at email@example.com.