Black College Institute
When is Black College Institute?
Benefits of attending BCI
- Student engagement with various academic disciplines through hands-on learning and workshops within the context of the African-American cultural experience.
- College life experience of residential living, campus dining, collaborative projects in university classrooms and engagement with Virginia Tech’s faculty, staff, and students.
- Daily workshops on (1) navigating and completing the college application process and (2) applying for scholarships and financial aid.
- Students embrace Virginia Tech’s motto of Ut Prosim (That I May Serve) by completing a service learning project with university and local partnerships.
- Explore Virginia Tech’s departments and organizations to build lasting connections and learn about local resources available to them.
- Engage in fun virtual team building and activities.
- All programs are FREE of cost to students!
Black College Institute 2019 Promo
Summer 2019 - The Black College Institute is an academic summer enrichment program by Virginia Tech. It hosts talented, high-achieving and academically curious rising high school juniors and seniors.
Participating VT Colleges and Departments
Are you interested in being a student staff leader for BCI?
Student Staff Leader applications for the 2022 summer programs are currently closed but click here for information about applying to be an SSL.
BCI in the News
Please note that transportation to Virginia Tech will not be provided and students should not drive personal vehicles to campus. Parents or designated representatives will be provided parking passes for student drop-off and pick-up upon arrival on campus.
- The SmartWay bus makes several stops in the New River Valley area, including the Roanoke Regional Airport and Squires Student Center (on VT's campus; where they will be met by a BCI representative).
- The MegaBus (Virginia Breeze) also makes stops on the VT campus.
- Amtrak train.
- Campus Maps
- Area Accomodations
Below are the list of recommended items to bring with you:
- Comfortable shoes for walking
- Closed toed shoes or sneakers - some of the spaces we will be entering require shoes with closed toes.
- Rain gear - we will be outside for one program - rain or shine.
- Mud wear - we will be outside for one program and some of the spaces are muddy so please bring appropriate footwear.
- Business attire - 2 sets
- Also, here is a guide on business casual attire from our Career and Professional Development department.
- Casual clothing - 5 sets
- Exercise clothing - we will go to the Recreation Center at least one evening.
- Swimsuit is optional for one of the activities available
- Snacks - please refrain from bringing snacks with any type of nuts.
- Any necessary medications
- Wash cloth and towel
- Toiletries including soap, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, comb/brush, shower-cap, hair products, shower shoes, sunscreen
- Phone chargers - please do not bring laptops/ipads/tablets or other expensive items
- Baseball hat or cap
We will provide the following:
- Water Bottle
- Sheets, pillowcase, pillow and blanket