Black College Institute
Welcome! Applications for 2020 are now open!
The Black College Institute is a 5-day academic summer enrichment program on Virginia Tech's main campus in Blacksburg Virginia. It hosts talented, high-achieving and academically curious rising high school juniors and seniors.
While this program is designed to attract underrepresented and/or first-generation students, we welcome the participation of any student who has a potential interest in Virginia Tech. Our program activities are planned using a multicultural perspective though we place special emphasis on the African-American identity.
Dates and Deadlines
Application opens: December 1, 2019
Application closes: April 1, 2020
Notification of acceptance: April 25, 2020
Confirm acceptance: May 10, 2020
Unofficial transcripts due: May 20, 2020
Benefits of attending BCI
- Student engagement with various academic disciplines through hand-ons learning and workshops within the context of the African-American cultural experience.
- College life experience of residential living, campus dining, collaborative projects in university classrooms and engagement with Virginia Tech’s faculty, staff, and students.
- Daily workshops on (1) navigating and completing the college application process and (2) applying for scholarships and financial aid.
- Students embrace Virginia Tech’s motto of Ut Prosim (That I May Serve) by completing a service learning project with university and local partnerships.
- Explore Virginia Tech’s departments and organizations to build lasting connections and learn about local resources available to them.
- Engage in fun team building activities in our Cultural, Recreational, and Squires Student Centers.
- All programs are FREE of cost to students! Students must arranged their own transportation to and from the programs.
Please note that transportation to Virginia Tech will not be provided and students should not drive personal vehicles to campus. Parents or designated representatives will be provided parking passes for student drop-off and pick-up upon arrival on campus.
- The SmartWay bus makes several stops in the New River Valley area, including the Roanoke Regional Airport and Squires Student Center (on VT's campus; where they will be met by a BCI representative).
- The MegaBus (Virginia Breeze) also makes stops on the VT campus.
- Amtrak train.
- Campus Maps
- Area Accomodations
Below are the list of recommended items to bring with you:
- Comfortable shoes for walking
- Closed toed shoes or sneakers - some of the spaces we will be entering require shoes with closed toes.
- Rain gear - we will be outside for one program - rain or shine.
- Mud wear - we will be outside for one program and some of the spaces are muddy so please bring appropriate footwear.
- Business attire - 2 sets
- Also, here is a guide on business casual attire from our Career and Professional Development department.
- Casual clothing - 5 sets
- Exercise clothing - we will go to the Recreation Center at least one evening.
- Swimsuit is optional for one of the activities available
- Snacks - please refrain from bringing snacks with any type of nuts.
- Any necessary medications
- Wash cloth and towel
- Toiletries including soap, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, comb/brush, shower-cap, hair products, shower shoes, sunscreen
- Phone chargers - please do not bring laptops/ipads/tablets or other expensive items
- Baseball hat or cap
We will provide the following:
- Water Bottle
- Sheets, pillowcase, pillow and blanket