Completed in 1953, Williams Hall was originally called the Academic Science Building.In 1970 more than 100 students and outsiders seized and barricaded the building during a time of student civil unrest sweeping the country. State police removed the occupiers, and student participants were arrested and suspended. The building was renovated in 2003 for the Department of Psychology.
Williams Hall890 Drillfield Drive
John Edward Williams
Williams Hall memorializes John Edward Williams, professor of mathematics and dean of the college from 1903 to 1943. Known for wise counsel and leadership, Williams earned wide respect for his 40 years of work at Virginia Tech. He was a Fellow in the American Association for the Advancement of Science, served on the Virginia Board of Education, and led the Association of Virginia Colleges. Among his recognitions was an honorary doctor of laws degree.