Vawter Hall was first occupied in fall 1962. The building was dedicated on May 16, 1966.
Vawter Hall180 Kent St.
Vawter Hall is a residence hall for 326 male students. The building has a Z-like floor layout, unlike any of the other residence halls.
Charles Erastus Vawter Sr.
Vawter Hall is named for Charles Erastus Vawter Sr., a member of the board of visitors (1886-1900) and rector of the board for nine years. Vawter was an authority on industrial education and a successful superintendent of a school for orphans, leading the governor to request his help in reorganizing Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College (now Virginia Tech). A member of the State Board of Education, he helped organize Virginia's public schools under the Constitution of 1902.