Virginia Tech™home

Steger Hall

1015 Life Science Circle
Steger Hall
Steger Hall

The building is part of the Fralin Life Sciences Institute, an instrument of strategic university investment committed to enhancing the quality, quantity, and competitiveness of life sciences research, education, and outreach across Virginia Tech.

On Nov. 11, 2016, the building was dedicated and renamed to Steger Hall, in honor of Charles W. Steger, who served as Virginia Tech's president from 2000-2014.

Charles W. Steger

Charles Steger

Charles Steger received a professional bachelor of architecture degree in 1970, master of architecture in 1971, and Ph.D. in environmental science and engineering in 1978, all from Virginia Tech. He began teaching as an instructor within the College of Architecture and Urban Studies in 1974. He later served as dean of the college from 1981 to 1993. Steger then served as vice president for development and university relations and vice president of the Virginia Tech Foundation from 1993-2000. He became the university's 15th president on Jan. 7, 2000 and served in that role until May 31, 2014. Read his complete biography.

Building History

In April 2019, Virginia Tech transferred the resources of the Biocomplexity Institute, which formally occupied Steger Hall, into the Fralin Life Sciences Institute at Virginia Tech. In doing so, Virginia Tech plans to support life sciences research across the university by providing “room to grow” through shared laboratories and catalyzing collaboration and partnership.

Shared research facilities supporting the life sciences will provide core resources across departments and disciplines. Staffed by expert technicians and guided by user needs, these facilities will drive efficiencies and promote collaborations across the research enterprise.