The first story of Patton Hall was completed in 1926, and three additional floors were added in 1929. In the past, the hall has served the needs of the architectural engineering department; Career Services; the religion and philosophy department; the engineering science and mechanics department; and the New Virginians, a well-known student musical troupe.
Patton Hall750 Drillfield Drive
Patton Hall is an academic building for the Charles E. Via, Jr. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, as well as other university classrooms.
It houses classrooms, most faculty offices, and administrative offices of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, which offers educational programs in all areas of civil engineering practice.
William MacFarland Patton
Patton Hall honors the memory of William MacFarland Patton, who worked here from 1895 to 1905 as chair of civil engineering and the first dean of the Department of Engineering. A distinguished engineer, educator, and author, Patton was the engineer on numerous projects in several countries, wrote definitive books on civil engineering and foundations, taught civil engineering, and headed engineering departments at two colleges. Honored as a patriot, he was a colonel in the Virginia militia.
- Originally Built:
- Map Grid:
- Abbreviation / Number:
- PAT / 127
- 37.22922, -80.4222