When completed in 1939, Owens Dining Center, which seated 2,240 diners, covered the greatest area of any structure on campus. In 1987 one of the dining rooms was converted to a banquet facility. A 1991 renovation converted the dining area into Owens Food Court, which consists of 12 specialty shops serving international and American food. Other specialty eateries were added at the time. The dining center won the Bronze Award from the American School and University Magazine for outstanding interior design in 1992.
Owens Hall150 Kent St.
Owens Dining Center is the home of Owens Food Court, which consists of 12 specialty shops serving international and American favorites. The building also contains Hokie Grill & Co., home to Pizza Hut®, Chick-fil-A®, Blue Ridge Barbecue, and Dunkin Donuts. A soup, salad, and fruit bar are offered along with deli sandwiches and bakery-style cookies. There is a large meeting room available.
See what's on the menu at Owens Food Court.
John Joseph Owens
Owens Dining Center was named in 1952 for John Joseph "Pop" Owens, mess steward from 1917 to 1940. Pop was interested in the welfare of the cadets and became their friend and advisor. His annual Thanksgiving feasts further endeared him to students. He convinced sophomores to eliminate their traditional sophomore night, which had included dynamiting, in favor of a banquet; led cadets in helping build a chapel; and helped found the Catholic Club on campus.