Constructed in 1876, Henderson Hall served as the home for college presidents and was first used by the first president, Charles Landon Carter Minor. The house was enlarged in 1902 and converted into an infirmary. Other additions followed in 1929 and 1951. When the infirmary was moved in 1998, Henderson was converted into offices for student affairs and placement services. It was renovated again in 2007-09 to serve various music, theatre, and arts programs. Theatre 101 was constructed adjacent to Henderson in 2009.
Henderson Hall195 Alumni Mall
Henderson Hall is home to various music, theatre, and arts programs, including the School of Performing Arts and the School of Visual Arts.
The space includes critique and seminar rooms, computer and design labs, a costume shop, a lighting lab, an editing studio, scene and design model shops, a digital fabrication studio, and a dozen practice rooms for music.
It, along with the new Theatre 101, obtained the first LEED certifications for the university for its 2009 renovation. LEED, which stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, was designed by U.S. Green Building Council to encourage and facilitate the development of more sustainable buildings, and it is the industry standard for green buildings.
Dr. William F. Henderson
Henderson Hall is named for Dr. William F. Henderson, a student here 1872-73, who worked as the college physician and consulting physician from 1891 until 1935. Henderson treated thousands of cadets at Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute (now Virginia Tech). Efficient and kindly, he chaperoned dances and attended football games, where he staunchly supported the team. Off campus, the well-known physician made house calls to virtually every home in Blacksburg.
- Originally Built:
- Map Grid:
- Abbreviation / Number:
- HOSP / 179
- 37.23056, -80.4167