Campbell Hall is composed of two wings: the west (or main) wing, originally known as Barracks No. 8 and completed in 1930, and the east wing, originally known as Barracks No. 9 and completed in 1940. It was known as the Stone Dormitory or Civilian Dormitory until it was named in 1952.
The building was closed at the end of fall 1966 for renovation, which was completed in 1968.