The building was completed February 1940. An addition was constructed in 1950. It was originally known as New Agricultural Hall until it was dedicated July 31, 1957.
Hutcheson Hall houses offices and classrooms for the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, plus the Virginia Cooperative Extension Service and the state 4-H headquarters.
It also is home to the Department of Statistics and contains space for the Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics, and the college’s Information Technology office.
T.B. Hutcheson and John R. Hutcheson
Hutcheson Hall was named in 1956 for two brothers: Thomas Barksdale Hutcheson, a 1906 alumnus, and John Redd Hutcheson, a 1907 alumnus. Thomas Hutcheson, who was known for his agricultural research and writing, served from 1914 to 1950 as the agronomy department head and then dean of agriculture. John Hutcheson, an agricultural leader, worked from 1919 to 1962 as director of agricultural extension, president of Virginia Tech (1945-47), Virginia Tech's first and only chancellor, and president of the VPI Foundation.
Map Grid: L-6
Building Number: 103
Originally Built: 1940