Michael J. Friedlander
Michael J. Friedlander, the founding executive director of the Virginia Tech Carilion Research Institute, was named Virginia Tech’s inaugural vice president for health sciences and technology in March 2016.
In addition to his role as executive director of the Virginia Tech Carilion Research Institute, his new responsibilities call for him to lead a dynamic network that connects and enhances health science-related work across the university.
The health sciences and technology initiative will grow the partnership with Carilion Clinic and capitalize on the health care-related resources and activities at the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute, the Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine, and other colleges and research institutes. It will also connect to the National Capital Region, which is expected to provide resources in computation as well as data, electronic health record, and social science analytics.
The Vice President for Health Sciences and Technology:
- Manages the development of the Virginia Tech Carilion Health Sciences and Technology campus vision, mission, programs, and brand;
- Grows the research, education, translation, and engagement programs in Roanoke;
- Works closely with Virginia Tech's partner, Carilion Clinic, to achieve strategic priorities with active engagement of local community, industry, and key stakeholders;
- Insures investments in priority research areas leverage the strengths of Virginia Tech across Virginia;
- Supports development of innovation ecosystem through research commercialization and economic development efforts to grow and attract health sciences and technology businesses;
- Enhances the visibility and presence of Virginia Tech and its programs in Roanoke through a coordinated communications strategy.
- Michael J. Friedlander | Vice President for Health Sciences and Technology
- Hal Irvin | Associate Vice President for Health Sciences and Technology Outreach; 540-526-2097
- Diane S. Childers | Chief of Staff; 540-526-2013
- Audra Van Wart | Assistant Vice President for Health Sciences Education; 540-526-2005
- Brent Bowden | Faculty of Health Sciences Program Coordinator; 540-526-2142
- Taryn Luoma | Health Sciences and Technology Program Coordinator; 540-526-2205
Vice President for Health Sciences and Technology
The Virginia Tech Carilion Research Institute
2 Riverside Circle
Roanoke, VA 24016