How to apply
Submit your application, along with the $75 application fee, and track your application's progress online.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
Include a scanned copy of your college transcripts with your online application, then arrange for an official copy to be sent to us after you receive an offer of admission.
Letters of Recommendation
Check to see whether your department requires letters of recommendation from references. If so, you can include their email addresses in your online application, or have them send paper copies directly to your program’s department.
Graduate School Testing Requirements
The Graduate School doesn’t require entrance tests, but check to see whether your department requires you to submit GRE, GMAT, or subject test scores with your application. If so, have the testing agency send official scores to Virginia Tech Graduate School, code 5859.
International students may be required to submit TOEFL scores.
Visit our testing requirements page for more information.
Degree-seeking students must include a $75 fee with their application, although you should check to see if you qualify for a waiver or reduced fee. All application fees are non-refundable.
Application Fee Waivers
Veterans and other applicants are eligible for waivers of the application fee. This form includes the eligibility requirements.
All application fees are nonrefundable.
Master of science and doctoral programs
- Deadline for spring 2021 semester: Sept. 15, 2020
- Deadline for fall 2021 semester: Dec. 20, 2020
Master of engineering in computer science
- Deadline for spring 2021 semester: Oct. 1, 2020 for international students, Nov. 15, 2020 for U.S. students
- Deadline for fall 2021 semester: March 1, 2021 for U.S. and international students
Master of science, master of engineering, and doctoral programs
- Deadline for Fall 2021 Semester: January 15th, 2020 (Funding Consideration)
- Deadline for Fall 2021 Semester: February 20, 2020 (International Students)
- Deadline for Fall 2021 Semester: July 1, 2020 (Domestic Students)
*Please contact us if you need an extension.
APPLYING AS AN INTERNATIONAL STUDENT
International students seeking F-1 or J-1 status may apply only to the Blacksburg and Northern Virginia campuses and may not enroll in executive master's and virtual programs. For more information about applying as an international student, visit our immigration services webpage.
Financial and immigration documents may be submitted after you receive admission into a graduate program.