Virginia Tech research answers society’s grand challenges, invents technologies and products, and adds to the world’s intellectual capital.
With our partners in industry, government, and philanthropy, we bridge the continuum between curiosity and commercialization. Along the way, we enrich quality of life and provide a healthy, secure future for the nation and the world.
- More than $521 million in research expenditures
- The only top 50 research institution in the commonwealth of Virginia; 24th among public research institutions nationally
- 21 faculty members who belong to the prestigious National Academies, which advance the pursuit of science, engineering and medicine
Virginia Tech’s goal is to give every undergraduate student who wants to conduct research the opportunity to do so. The Office of Undergraduate Research helps students gain authentic research experience in all areas of scholarship, promotes dissemination of student research, and provides data and programmatic support for grant-sponsored undergraduate research programs.
Research Institutes and university research centers
The Research Institutes of Virginia Tech enhance the university’s ability to address large-scale research opportunities by crossing traditional disciplinary and college lines. The eight institutes provide clients access to world-class expertise across many disciplines and to the scientific and technical capability of specially equipped, advanced laboratories.
- Biocomplexity Institute
- Fralin Life Science Institute
- Fralin Biomedical Research Institute
- Hume Center
- Institute for Creativity, Arts, and Technology
- Institute for Critical Technology and Applied Science
- Institute for Society, Culture and Environment
- Virginia Tech Transportation Institute
LINK: Center for Advancing Industry Partnerships
LINK connects great companies with great opportunities at Virginia Tech.
Drawing from the university’s deep bench of people, research, programs, and infrastructure, LINK streamlines the path to partnership. While providing support for the full cycle of innovation, from discovery to market, LINK matches a company’s needs to Virginia Tech’s assets and strengths to ensure partnerships today create impact tomorrow.