Apply to be a BCI Student Staff Leader
Responsibilities for Student Staff Leaders
- Attend and participate in all scheduled training/planning sessions.
- Flexibility during training and duration of BCI
- Share your Hokie experiences with students; provide encouragement about the college seeking process
- Facilitate small groups of students and help them navigate the campus.
- Maintain consistent and timely correspondence with supervisory staff.
- Assist with the design/selection and facilitation/implementation of topical programs (e.g. majors/minors, the college application process, career exploration, transition, etc.) during the Black College Institute.
- Lead your group to all programs scheduled during Black College Institute
- Collaborate with other Student Staff Leaders, faculty and staff as we work together to enhance the students’ experiences.
- Foster a sense of community and trust through programming by modeling appropriate risk-taking and self-disclosure.
- Assist in developing an inclusive environment that is open to all points of view.
- Help students become familiar with University resources (e.g. Housing and Residential Life, Schiffert Health Center, Cook Counseling Center, Student Success Center, Intercultural Engagement Center, etc.) and make appropriate referrals when necessary.
- Serve as a role model exhibiting enthusiasm, motivation, and involvement.
- Exercise good judgment in representing the university and uphold institutional standards, including the Honor Code.
- Maintain a professional level of clothing attire for the duration of the program (for example: no rips or holes in clothing).
Qualifications to be a Student Staff Leader
To apply for a Student Staff Leader position:
- You must be a full-time Virginia Tech undergraduate, or graduate student.
- You must have completed one full semester at Virginia Tech.
- You must have a GPA 2.75 minimum, preference will be given to students with a 3.0 or higher .
- You must be in good standing with Virginia Tech (have no active judicial/honor sanctions).
- You must have or be willing to learn general knowledge about Virginia Tech.
- You must be an actively engaged student in student organizations, and/or academic and co-curricular experiences on VT’s campus.
- You should not be taking summer classes during the time of the programs.
- You must be available for training (if hired, SSLs that have issues with this date can be worked with around this issue on an individual basis). Check back later for Spring 2022 training dates.
- You must have a positive and energetic attitude.
- A stipend will be provided at the conclusion of each program, with good standing.
- Develop invaluable leadership skills through program development and interaction with student participants, parents, faculty and staff.
Dates of Commitment for Summer 2022
- Mandatory Training: June 7 - June 10, 2022
- Full program dates of the program(s) participating:
- June 12 - June 15 (virtual)
- June 19 - June 23 (in-person)
- June 26 - June 30 (in-person)
Questions? Contact email@example.com.