Message from Ruth Waalkes, associate provost for the arts and executive director, Moss Arts Center, Virginia Tech:
Welcome to the Arts@VirginiaTech.
The arts are a deeply embedded and highly valued part of life at Virginia Tech and for Hokies wherever they live and work in the world. Advancing the integration of the arts across the university is the primary purpose of the Arts@VirginiaTech. We accomplish this integration through classroom experiences, cocurricular opportunities, public engagement, and research endeavors that traverse traditional boundaries. As you will see in the stories ahead, our students, alumni, and all the communities we serve are already reaping the benefits of this creative alliance.
Here, we highlight the breadth of arts and technology activities in learning and discovery, the depth of rich arts engagement experiences at Virginia Tech, and the resonance that occurs when graduates leave the university, well equipped to contribute to the world as global citizens.
Arts Policy Board
The board appointed an Arts Communication Council of mostly campus communicators supporting the arts. The council includes:
- Tracy Vosburgh, co-chair, senior associate vice president, University Relations
- Heather Ducote, co-chair, director of marketing and communications, Office of the Associate Provost for the Arts (Arts@VirginiaTech, Moss Arts Center, Institute for Creativity, Arts, and Technology)
- Susan Bland, associate director of communication, Office of the Associate Provost for the Arts (Arts@VirginiaTech, Moss Arts Center, Institute for Creativity, Arts, and Technology)
- Robin Scully Boucher, arts program director, Perspective Gallery
- Paula Byron, director of marketing and communications, College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences
- Avery Eliades, digital content specialist, Moss Arts Center, Virginia Tech
- Bill Foy, communications and innovative technologies director, Division of Student Affairs
- Katie Gehrt, communications director, College of Architecture and Urban Studies
- Susan Sanders, publicity manager, School of Performing Arts
Arts Strategic Plan
The mission of the Arts@VirginiaTech is to supply rigorous and innovative academic programs in the arts, promote the discovery and transfer of knowledge garnered through creative research methodologies and professional studio practices, enrich the lives of faculty, students, and arts patrons through performances and engagement initiatives, and leverage technologies to enhance teaching and learning capabilities in PK-12 and higher education environments.
Download the entire Arts Strategic Plan:
Virginia Tech's Arts Strategic Plan