Saunders Hall was completed in 1931 and was originally known as the Dairy Husbandry Building.
Saunders Hall490 West Campus Drive
Saunders Hall is an academic building on the Ag Quad used primarily by the Department of Horticulture. The Department of Entomology uses space in this building, and the Plant Tissue lab and Soils lab are also in Saunders Hall.
William Dabney Saunders
In 1949, the Dairy Husbandry Building was re-named for William Dabney Saunders, director of the Creamery (1896-1911), professor (1896-1908 and 1914-1922), and an Extension specialist (1920-45). Saunders was a dairy industry pioneer who interrupted his service here to work for three years as Virginia's first dairy and food commissioner. He gained an international reputation for developing a cheese-making process and established a system for testing cattle for tuberculosis that virtually eliminated the disease in Virginia dairy cattle.