Construction started on Payne Hall in 1992, and it opened in 1993.
Payne Hall600 Washington St. SW
Payne Hall was built in 1994 and is home to 209 co-ed residents, mostly upperclass and transfer students. It is a suite-style building with either two or three rooms sharing a common living room and bathroom.
Meraki, the well-being living-learning community, is located within Payne Hall.
The Rev. Alfred Cook Payne
Payne Hall is named for Alfred Cook "Al" Payne, associate secretary of the YMCA from 1946 to 1949. He left Blacksburg but returned in 1958 to spend 23 years as YMCA secretary, assistant to Virginia Tech's dean of students, and counselor of religious affairs. A decorated World War II officer, Payne was a beloved spiritual advisor whose thought-provoking prayers were a staple at university events. He played an integral role in the integration of area schools.
- Originally Built:
- Map Grid:
- Abbreviation / Number:
- PAYNE / 039
- 37.22582, -80.42