Monteith Hall was first occupied in fall 1949. It was closed for renovation from 1969 to 1970. Before it was closed, it was a co-ed residence hall, home to 202 residents. The first two floors served as cadet housing for the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets’ 3rd Battalion, and the top two floors were civilian housing.
Monteith Hall171 Turner St. NW
Monteith Hall was demolished in the summer of 2017. The area will be green space for the near future.
James W. Monteith
In 1949, Monteith Hall was named for First Lieutenant Jimmie Waters Monteith Jr., who attended Virginia Tech for two years in the early 1940s. During World War II, he trained soldiers until he was shipped overseas. Part of the D-Day invasion of Normandy, he landed on Omaha Beach in the first wave of attack, distinguishing himself in battle before he was killed. General Dwight D. Eisenhower recommended Monteith for the Medal of Honor.