Construction on Lee Hall was started in 1965 and completed in fall 1966.
During the 125th anniversary of Virginia Tech, students in a history class came across a page in the 1896 Bugle listing Lee as a leader in the campus chapter of the KKK. After a thorough investigation in 1997, it was determined that there was the potential that the organization was a hoax and that the hall name would not be changed. It was recognized that Lee's potential participation was reprehensible.The issue resurfaced in October 2004. The Commission on Equal Opportunity and Diversity was asked to look into the situation and develop a set of recommendations. This set of recommendations was approved in February 2005 and subsequently adopted by the University. The recommendations called for broader education on the subject of Claudius Lee and also for strengthening diversity efforts across the university.