The facility was constructed 1995. Originally the Fralin Biotechnology Center, the facility was established to promote research, education, and outreach related to the life sciences. The Fralin Biotechnology Center and the Institute for Biomedical and Public Health Sciences were administratively merged in 2008 to form the Fralin Life Science Institute.
The Fralin Life Science Institute is an interdisciplinary research center that bring scientists from different disciplines together to solve some of biology's more complex challenges.
Horace Grover Fralin
The Fralin Life Science Institute bears the name of Horace Grover Fralin, Class of 1948, who co-founded Fralin and Waldron, a progressive real estate development company in Roanoke, Va. He helped revitalize downtown Roanoke and was a member of the Virginia Tech Board of Visitors, a founding member of the Virginia Tech Corporate Research Center, president of the Virginia Tech Foundation, and the 1992 recipient of Tech's William H. Ruffner Medal.
Map Grid: L-7
Building Number: 111
Originally Built: 1995