The building was completed in 1940. It was originally known as Mineral Industries Building until it was renamed in 1949.
Holden Hall is an academic building that houses offices, classrooms, and laboratories of the Department of Materials Science and Engineering and the Department of Mining and Mineral Engineering.
Roy Jay Holden
Holden Hall is named for Roy Jay Holden, a professor of geology and geology department head from 1905 to 1945. The noted geologist sited Virginia's first gas well, located water wells when a shortage threatened Virginia Polytechnic Institute (now Virginia Tech), and assessed the safety of the Claytor Lake Dam site. But he forged his true legacy in the classroom, where he stimulated a lifelong scientific interest in his students.
Map Grid: L-3
Building Number: 130
Originally Built: 1940